Monday 7 November 2011

Cape Verde, Calheta de São Miguel (The afternoon of the first day) - still

(...)

because four of the girls (Erica, Joceline, Marline and Delmizia) have French "godmothers" I decided to play a French memory game with them, which would allow them to slowly get introduced to the French vocabulary. We played it for about one hour, whilst they wrote down the new learned words in their notebooks and  the truth is we all had a really good time, as they were not allowed to count the right cards they turned unless they said the correct word in French.




















As we were finishing the game, Claudio and Cynthia came around to collect their Christmas presents. Claudio was entitled to a fairly complicated paper castle I bought with Mr. Breitenstein's money, which he would have to build himself using a pair of scissors and glue, and although he looked rather "frightened" at the prospect of not being able to do it, I felt he  would (will) ... eventually be able to.








Cynthia, on the other hand got some new outfits bought for her by Conceição and looked rather shy, though the long thank you letter she wrote clearly showed how happy she was for having got so many presents.




















On the way to Marquinho's, which is fairly close to Sibylle's I stopped at Nha Francisca, Nelsinha's great grandmother just to find out that Nelsinha wasn't staying with her then but would be coming the following day.  I was soon in for another surprise, as  I met  Wilson, whom I had given the 3D helicopter to build in the morning, already happily playing with it, having found out that most boys had already "constructed" the toys they had been given.






















Marquinho with his new T-shirt and trousers (left) and holding the photo of his recent "godparents" -Sonia and João (right).




I still had a little bit of time to relax at the Pension before heading to Sibylle's restaurant to join her, her husband and Beat for a special soup and a glass of Fogo wine and once more realised that what really makes this "deadly looking" village alive are definitely the people ... it is them that make me want to come back every year ... there is an undescribable bond between me and this village which goes beyond any plausible explanation ...





MiraMaio Pension










Views from the second floor of the pension.




Throughout the meal I was taken into Benedita's, just next door, to see her grandchild Danilo, whose photo I had been sent when he was born, but who now looked like a "young" boy, though being just months old.















Danilo between his mother and grandmother (left); sitting down on the bed (right).





For moments I thought my tiredness was betraying me, but when I looked at the photos the next day I realised it was true ... this baby had really grown ..."


I just wish my "influence" within this community could have a similar "growth!!! ...









No comments:

Post a Comment