Sunday 13 November 2011

Cape Verde, Calheta de São Miguel and Veneza (the last moments) - the 30th of October 2011

(...)

As I was working with the "afternoon" girls I realised many of the girls who had not been selected for this workshop came over to the Academy, eventually disappointed and sad for not having been invited to participate, but once I explained to them that there would have been serious time constraints they understood.

We then came to a "last minute agreement" in which I would let them in during the last part of the activities - story completion with stickers and a pop up story reading. Whilst they were waiting they still had time to write a brief story of their family environment to their "godmothers", which undoubtedely provided us with a better insight to the type of "atmosphere" they live in.

Soon after Mena showed up to collect the presents her "godmother Silvia had sent her, having had time to still take part in some of the activities.



 

It is always hard to say good-bye to these children ... and what makes it easier is the simple fact that I know I'll be going back as long as I can to "watch over" and witness their growth.

I owe my thankfulness to all the "godparents" and friends who contributed towards their happiness during these two days, as well as people like Luisa and Mr. Breitenstein, whose financial contribution helped me in buying additional material to  keep them "artistically" busy. Sibylle, the "intermediary" between me and the children when I am not there and my "right arm" when I am doing the workshops, together with Beat, who allowed me to use the ADEC space, should be mentioned, but  the ones I really should be thankful to are the children themselves, for embarking in the "artistic challenges" and for "teaching" me to unconditionally love them.


Prior to having driven to Praia I still walked to Veneza to hand out some photos I had taken last February. Both Calheta port and its fishing beach looked filthy from a distance until I realised it was yellowish sea weed they were covered in.




  












Walking up from the port onto the main road.














The Chinese shop on the  way to Veneza.














Two images of the "heart" of the village with the Public library (the groundfloor on the right) which I visited once to find out that the children books they had were not "availabe" because of there not being space to expose them.





Whenever I am in Calheta I always photograph the "open air" shipbuilding yard under a tree on the way to Veneza, though this time found out that there was a fence around it. I wonder why ... somehow things change and I have recently heard of robberies being perpetrated in communities as small as Calheta and Veneza ... that could be the explanation.



















If Calheta does sometimes "project" an image of abandonment what can one say in regards to Veneza, particularly the further we move away from the main road!... The Notary and Identification Register Office is one of the very few exceptions.













I finally found some of the people I had photographed last February (a mother and daughter) but within seconds a few village children came running towards them to be photographed ... I guess I'll have to go looking for them next time I travel there.





On the way back to Calheta I stopped by some street stalls selling sausages and other pork "delicacies" ... and it's with this smell filling the air that I finally got into a taxi to drive me to the capital city where I would be spending the following days.










No comments:

Post a Comment