Wednesday 23 November 2011

Cape Verde (the afternoon and evening of the last day) - The 1st of November 2011

(...)

The last image I have "taken" with me from Cidade Velha was part of the remains of the 1 metre thick walls of the 1556 Cathedral, as I was driving back to Praia.




I must have taken the wrong "aluger" going back, because rather than having been dropped at Sucupira I was dropped at Terra Branca overlooking the cemetry and the stadium, thus having had to walk into town via the Ministerial Palace and then up to reach Plateau.






As I had quite a long time to go till the check-in, once the flight back home would only be leaving at around one the next moring, I decided to wander about the Plateau, this time in the back streets of the Cathedral.









I accidently came across Amilcar Cabral's Centre, whose facade has been painted by the International mural artist Joel Bergner, whose work focuses on issues of Culture and social injustice. I was impressed to have also found out that he has spent part of his life as an artist-teacher counselling marginalised youth struggling with issues of violence, prostitution, drugs and suicide, as well as  working with international refugees, homeless and mentally ill.













I must say I was lucky enough to have met friends I had not seen for a while, whom I spend part of the early evening at Café Sofia, before heading to Quintal da Musica, where they suggested I should spend part of the evening and night prior to boarding the plane back home.

Quintal da Musica which has been "formed" by some members of the Cape verdian traditional Band Simentera plays an important role in the promotion of local musicians of various musical genres and so does its courtyard restaurant in regards to the typical cuisine.

What I didn't know was that I was about to witness some moments of extreme beauty in its back rooms, as two members of the Raiz the Polon Dance Group rehearsed what looked like particularly well coregraphed dances involving  youths with physical impairments. 
























Belarmino was the musician and singer on the little stage that night and I felt I was lucky again, because not only did I like the selected repertoire, but also the way he "touched" the audience (as he always does).


  



I was later joined by a dear friend (Zezito), who came along with his brother. That was also a touching moment, as we hadn't seen each other for a while. In no time at all memories "took" us back into the distant past ... a past that highly contributed towards my understanding of what Cape Verdians really are. We inevitably spoke about our lives and our actual relationship with Cape Verde ...



Zezito





... and it was soon time to board the flight ... with almost no luggage but a bunch of letters from the children addressed to those who had thought of them ... a few presents given to me in Calheta ... and a heart full of joy ... one of those heartfelt joys of having "given yourself" and having received a lot more than you gave ...





  Letters and cards written by the children of Calheta











No comments:

Post a Comment