Saturday 28 August 2010

Providing the tools ... or ... just ideas ...


As I was handed a bag full of second hand  large size T-shirts, which very much look like being new,  to take to Cape Verde, I was also given two crochet and knitting magazines with quite a few interesting models to be carried out by anyone who might feel sufficiently encouraged by the images and use some of the theoretical skills displayed in those magazines, and put them in practice.

 I'll have to buy crochet and knitting needles, plus an amount of thread of various strong and vibrant colours to take back with me, as this type of material is not only very expensive in Cape Verde but most of the time difficult to get, at least where I have been going to.

The whole thing reminded me of a programme developed by a group of Germans in which the Angolan ladies of a small  rural community started making rag dolls of a particular artistic beauty and detail, to be later sold at the International fairs. (In the last handicraft fair the hundred dolls in display were sold out after just a few minutes). The one I managed to buy is to be seen in the pictures underneath.






Soon after having discussed this issue with my colleague Ana, I started thinking of some of the many handicrafted objects I had bought in Cuba and Angola (of South African origin), which would need seemingly easy "tools" to be made and  ... in which way to have them  adjusted to "African trend"  or tradition oriented models, for my "adolescent " students of Calheta to make in the next year workshops ...


    
Coloured coconut masks (using paint and sand).




Papier maché doll and pine cone female turkey.


These are just ideas ... I'll have to work out whether it might be possible ...

(Note: All the  handicraft pieces in the pictures above belong to my private handicraft collection).

No comments:

Post a Comment