Thursday 24 June 2010

"Filling" my soul ...


Photographing in Lidice, Czech Republic, 2007


"Early, very early in my life the bewitching exotism tempted me in a restless way. Why? I don't know. I believe that soon after being born, the marked temperament of a wheighing languideness, led me not to feel adequate where I was and in reverie I cried out for wings, to take me far, far away ...

And I ran, flew away and tattered my soul (because one does tatter one's soul whenever one falls for things) the exotic world around".
 (free translation) Wenceslau de Moraes

















With the "Walking around the musseques' group of foreign expatriots", Luanda, Angola, 2006 (Left). Talking to a musician in Fez, Morocco, 2004 (Right)



 Riding around Djerba island in Tunisia, 2005 (Left). Photographing in Guatemala, 2007 (Right)

  
 
 Being approached by people in the streets of old Havana, 2008 (Left). Observing in San Cristobal de las Casas, Mexico, 2009 (Right)


Having travelled on my own for quite a while, I rarely have photos of myself ..., although it is relatively unimportant, once the real importance lies on letting  myself go, being bewitched by the "exotic" places ... the people ... the cultural differences ... the similarities ... getting involved ... filling my soul, wearing it to tatters (sometimes) ... and moving on ...





No comments:

Post a Comment