Wednesday 12 May 2010

Personal reflection ...

When abroad we are somehow tempted to consume, rather than to experience ...

Doing volunteer work in rural communities of Africa has led me to ponder one's place in the world and  undoubtedly encouraged my personal reflection.

As I wandered around Calheta with the camera in my hands, some  local women called out for me. They were working on the other side of the road at a cobble stone pavement area being re-paved and wanted me to take their photos.
As I suggested they put down the buckets filled with stones, so as to have their photos taken, they seemed surprised and even shocked.





"We are proud of carrying these buckets up and down", one of them said ... "and we are proud of having some money to take home at the end of the day", another one prompted ..."so, Madam, take these photos of ours holding the bread-winning buckets on our heads".








As I walked further into Calhetona, I sighted three young girls sitting by the side of the road. Two were playing cards and the one who looked slightly older
was removing the scales of some small fish with a sharp cutting knife. "How old are you?", I asked.
"Six, Madam ... I am six years old".









No comments:

Post a Comment